The ribs are the bones that extend from the backbone to the rib cage. There are 24 ribs, 12 on the left and 12 on the right. The ribs protect the organs located in the chest area. The structure that protects these organs is called the rib cage. Chest and rib pain complaints usually begin in the 3rd and 4th months of pregnancy. It increases even more as the pregnancy progresses.
Rib and back pains are especially common in the last trimester of pregnancy. The enlargement of the uterus causes the rib cage to expand as well. In fact, this is considered an indication that the pregnancy is progressing in its normal course. Therefore, it is important to fully understand rib pain in order to predict when help is needed and a doctor should be consulted.
If we take it in order, first of all, the growing uterus expands towards the rib region and this causes pain as it increases the pressure. Another reason is the weight gained and the enlargement of the breasts. Weight puts pressure on both the rib cage and the spinal cord. In addition, changes in muscles and hormones during pregnancy can also cause rib pain. During pregnancy, the rib cage expands to support the uterus and lungs. The rib cage also has to balance the posture of the pregnant woman. All of these cause pain in the ribs.
First of all, you should pay attention to your posture. Rib pain may worsen when you sit. Because the act of sitting will increase the pressure on the uterus. In such a case, resting by placing your arms a little higher will relieve your rib pain. You should practice posture correction techniques such as pushing the shoulders back and keeping your neck and spine straight.
It is not always easy to distinguish between dangerous and normal pain involved in the process. To understand the dangerous pains of pregnancy, there are general signs to watch out for:
• Nausea, vomiting, bleeding, fever and chills,
• Pain that does not go away despite rest,
• Pain that makes it difficult for you to walk, move, speak or breathe
What can be done to relieve rib pain during pregnancy?
The posture of a pregnant woman and a non-pregnant woman is different. The center of pain changes during pregnancy. A pregnant lady needs to stand backwards while walking and sitting. This relaxes the ribs and reduces their pain.
• You need to pay attention to your choice of clothes. Wearing cotton, loose clothing suitable for your pregnancy size, instead of tight, tight and uncomfortable clothes, protects you from stomach and rib ailments.
• Using a pregnancy pillow while sleeping will make you more comfortable and not experience pain.
• Wearing the right size underwear will not only allow you to stand upright but also relieve the pain caused by your breasts.
• Using padded bras prevents shoulder and rib pain.
• If you are suffering from rib or shoulder pain, it will be good to hold a hot water bottle.
• Taking a warm shower will also be good for you as it will relax the muscles in the aching area.